First of all, I apologize for the lack of postings (recently) on this blog. Vacations (imagine that) and other commitments have taken me away from the blog world for a while, so the Business – Information Nexus has a little black hole for the month of August 2012.
Faculty may wonder what it is that I do, other than attend meetings and send out notices about new books or databases. One of my core responsibilities is “information literacy instruction”.
Here is an overview of the classes that I will be visiting this month to provide “Face-to-face” information literacy instruction with links to relevant course and/or research guides:
ENTR 3P98: Family Business (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/ENTR3P98)
- Researching famous family businesses and locating articles in scholarly journals on family business topics.
ENTR 4P10: Planning New Venture Creation (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/ENTR4P10)
- Researching new venture business plans.
MBAB 5P62 / MKTG 3P96: Marketing Research. (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/MBAB5P62)
- A focus on secondary sources of market research and tips on finding prior research studies and marketing scales.
MGMT 1P93: Introduction to Business. (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/MGMT1P93)
- Finding articles (from a citation, or on a topic) using news and business databases, in support of several writing assignments. Tips on compiling annotated bibliographies and citing sources in APA style.
ECON 3P10: Research Methods in Economics. (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/ECON)
- Literature searching and data retrieval in economics for an empirical research project.
OBHR 4P95: Managing Diversity. (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/OBHR)
- Finding scholarly research on diversity topics. Tracking news and legal developments. Citing sources in APA style.
MBAB 5P42 / FNCE 4P04: Equity Investments / Investment Analysis & Portfolio Analysis (http://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/MBAB5P42)
- Basics of investment research covering finding background information, articles, financial data sources(at Brock and elsewhere), investment industry sources, and tips on citing sources.
GEOG 3P99: Geography of Cultural Industries. (to be determined)
- Researching cultural industries in Canada
MBAB 5P21: Business strategy (to be determined).
- Strategic Analysis Library Research tips
ENTR 2P91: Introduction to Entrepreneurship
ENTR 4P93: International Dimensions of Entrepreneurship
MSCM 5P32: Current issues in Accounting Research II
MACC 5P61: Corporate Governance
Whew! I have also provided other support for instructors in Accounting, Management, OBHR that do not involve visiting their classes – sometimes that is the preferred approach.
So, if you are reading this and wish to book an instructional session for your class, please let me know. If you are a student and require some additional support, please contact me as well.
Cheers and Skål!
For a fun video about Skål (or skaal), watch this: http://vimeo.com/17076593