Hello, and welcome to a new blog post series called “Hidden Gems” that spotlights key sources that may be hard to find as they are buried deep within our business research databases. Today’s post focuses on hidden gems for market researchers.
Market Research Handbooks (Richard K. Miller & Associates)
These comprehensive handbooks are published annually by RKMA (a well-known market research firm),and focus on U.S. consumer-related markets. Each title includes market forecasts, trends, and statistics, and some titles have a sector-specific focus. Brock University Library has access to a variety of these handbooks via our subscription to Business Source Complete. The titles available to us from this series include:
- Casinos, Gaming & Wagering
- Consumer Behavior
- Entertainment, Media & Advertising Market Research Handbook
- Healthcare Business Market Research Handbook
- Leisure Market Research Handbook
- Restaurant, Food & Beverage Market Research Handbook
- Retail Business Market Research Handbook
- Sports marketing
- Travel & Tourism Market Research Handbook
Finding hidden gems: a case study
- Imagine you are researching the horse racing industry and looking more closely at the target market.
- From the Business Source Complete Advance Search Screen, enter the search term horse racing.
- Method 1: You can limit your results by publication type to Market Research Report.
- Method 2: You can use the Refine Results feature on the results screen to limit by Source Types to Market Research Reports.
You will see a list of 24 results (as of April 2014), which include chapters from several of the handbooks listed above including a chapter on horse racing from the Sports Marketing handbook, and a chapter on thoroughbred and harness racing from the Casinos, Gaming & Wagering handbook.
Method 2: Refine Results by Source Type